The Building

The fine red brick building we see today was consecrated on 14 December 1889. The plans were prepared by the London Architects Kelley & Birchall; and a local firm, W. H. Gaze of Union Street, was chosen as the builders. The cost was just over £5,000 for the chancel and nave! It took a lot of hard work to raise the money in Canbury, the most impoverished district in Kingston.

Much of the fund raising was due to the devotion of worshippers who went without meals and new clothes to contribute. The rest was due to such influential figures as the Duchess of Teck and Lady Wolverton (who paid entirely for the elegant spire).